This morning, I was discussing with a friend the reasoning behind why I share what I do on facebook, knowing that it is going to make people dislike me or cause conflict (and if you know me, you know I HATEEEEE conflict).
My answer? Because my posts are usually about educating people to things they may have not been aware of before. I mean, I wasn't aware 10 years ago.
Guess what guys... I am not all that different than you are. I grew up in those same religiously conservative families as you. Hell, my parents had a poster of Ronald Reagan laminated & on the wall. I was also in church EVERY TIME THE DOORS OPENED. I truly believed all that I was indoctrinated into both politically and religiously.
Here's the thing though...
1. I didn't know I was in an abusive marriage or that my family had verbally abusive tendencies until I took an interpersonal communication course that enlightened me to how people really should speak to each other.
2. I didn't realize the damage that could be done by using yelling as a communication technique, until I did research for a graduate class. I was in my 20's with two kids...
3. I HONESTLY thought the people who used welfare came from generational users of the system... until I started to do research into who uses the system.
4. I was pro-life, until I REALLY looked into abortion and who uses the services and why they use them.
5. I was a good ole Southern Baptist, until I researched how the denomination came about (racism) and did a little reading of my own and realized how WRONG we are about what the Bible really says.
You are always free to ignore my posts. You can dislike me for who I've become. I won't say that it doesn't bother me, because it does. I don't like knowing that some of you think I'm just an idiot liberal who has been manipulated by the education system.
But here's the thing. That abortion post I posted this morning? Yeah... I had three people text me their stories and tell me that they agreed with my about education. Why did they text me? Because they didn't want to deal with the persecution of their family, peers and even jobs. O_o THIS. IS. A. PROBLEM.
So I will continue to annoy you with my posts and you can continue to think I'm a liberal idiot. BUT... if one person reads something I've posted and it causes them to rethink their previous way of thinking... I feel that it's worth it.