Thursday, June 14, 2007

I really, really, want my hand back!


Well, the stitches came out yesterday, and the dr gave me 10 days to regain movement of my fingers or I will be attending daily physical therapy sessions. So... in order to not have physical therapy I was good and really worked at making a fist. Well, um... this morning I looked down at my finger and the entire cut has reopened. It hasn't opened as far down as they cut originally, but it is opened enough that my cousin who is a nurse handed me the phone and said call the dr... I called the dr and will be sitting in his office in the morn. What I would like to know is if I should be expecting stitches again or what? I mean, what can they really do about it? I have to bend my finger, right? The scar goes across my finger. So... in a nutshell, every time I bend my finger I will be opening the cut. Hmmm... any suggestions here? Here is a pic of it (sorry if it grosses you out). The cut goes across the finger (this way the scar is not visible was the original logic)... the holes below are from the stitches. And no, my knuckle isn't normally that big... hubs says it is swollen. I would just like to mention again that THIS IS RIDICULOUS! It was a thorn for crying out loud! The most frustrating thing for me is that a stupid little thorn has caused havoc in my life and all around me people are suffering from potentially life threatening things... I mean, Jack has a brain tumor and is in the hospital, Alyssa is having open heart surgery in a week, and my Aunt Diana has a wound in her back from a post-surgery spine infection that is requiring her to live in a hospital for a couple of months (I'll explain in a minute). All of these seem way more important than my stupid finger...
On to my Aunt... Aunt Diana had back surgery about a month ago... something about a nerve. Anyway, she went in to have the stitches removed and apparently it hurt like nothing she had ever felt. She left the office and went home only to wake up in the middle of the night with her would open and oozing. It oozed allllllll night and into the next day and she finally went back to the dr. Well, her back was infected and she was rushed into surgery. The dr's cleaned out what they could but the infection was so bad that they left the wound open to be cleaned out and packed several times a day. The wound is deep enough that when the nurse cleans it her hand and wrist disappear inside. (It is pretty wide as well.) The nurse walked in yesterday and opened the wound to repack it... she looked at my aunt and said "Wow... I can see your stomach!" Aunt Diana is on some pretty strong antibiotics and pain bills. Her spirits seem high (or maybe it's just that she is high). Yesterday she joked that she would need drug rehab from all the Oxycontin they have been giving her. We really have no clue what the future holds... I mean, an infection that deep and large could easily cause sepsis and she could die. (Not that we couldn't all die at any point in the near future... but who wants to go that way?)
Anyway, with all that said, I do know that the future is totally in God's hands and there are some massive prayers coming from our house for the people mentioned above. Please do the same in yours.
jess

No comments: