Thursday, April 12, 2007

Out of the mouth of babes....

In the car on the way home this evening after listening to my 9 and 6 yr old daughters discuss the boys at school:

Me: Girl's you do realize that it doesn't matter if you don't have boyfriends. There are most def more impt things in life than boys.
Girls: yes mom
Me: Besides, you know you cannot get married until after college anyway (at least not if you want to go for free at the school mommy works for)
Girls: we know
Me: I just want ya'll to enjoy your college experience... not rush into marriage and start making babies...
Megan: R U crazy mom? I am nooootttt having children.
Me: Y not?
Megan: Do you see how we act? I don't want any of those!

Ok... on to bigger problems...

I am seriously struggling with where my children should go to school next year. AISD vs. CLYDE. I have made pro con lists etc. and I have not exactly come to a conclusion. The people in Clyde think I'm crazy for wanting my kids to go to AISD... I mean, they might be exposed to drugs, crime, and God only knows what else. Well, after our experience with Kali learning about sex... not buying that.

Here's a brief list of reasons why I have issue with Clyde:
1. School is too far from Abilene to go eat lunch with my children
2. Kids have to get on bus at 7am so bedtime is ridiculously early
3. There is virtually no diversity in Clyde
4. The city seems to think that saying "I do" should come shortly after high school graduation
5. Most of the illegal things I did in high school happened in Clyde

When I talk to people in Clyde they act like I'm a crack head for wanting my kids to go back to a larger school district. They don't seem so aware of the fact that being culturally aware is good; or that waiting until after college to get married is the trend right now; or that kids are just as likely to smoke pot or have sex in Clyde as they are in Abilene.

Well, after typing all of this out I realize that my kids are soooo going back to AISD. That is unless some of you can convince me otherwise. haha!

jess

1 comment:

Looney Mom™ said...

Oh I can totally relate to the whole "school" issue. It's so hard to know what to do anymore with all the stuff that goes on these days. I've been struggling for years with this. I hope you have peace about where you little girls will go and that they will protected well by our Father!

And LOL! on what your daughter said. I love it!