Monday, September 03, 2007

Kali

For those who don't know, Kali was in speech therapy from about 18 mths until half way through kindergarten. When Clyde discharged her from speech I wasn't exactly happy about it, but there was nothing I could do. I noticed over the summer that she has started replacing sounds she cannot make. For example, curler instead of curl. A couple of weeks ago I asked one of the speech therapists at church what she thought and her suggestion was to take her back to speech because she has started "phoneme replacement." Huh? She also questioned whether Kali had a tongue thrust and suggested I ask our dentist. Well, our dentist happens to go to church with us too so I asked her Sunday morning what she thought and before I could get the whole phrase out she said yes. ugh! So... now I either have to fight with AISD for specialized speech therapy or I have to PAY $50 a session for it. UGH! Apparently Kali's issues aren't something the school district likes to deal with because they require individual treatment instead of group therapy. I wish there was some magical treatment for Kali's tongue (she started with an articulation delay due to her refusal/inability to use her tongue). I know there are parents who just ignore this kind-of stuff, but I have noticed that her speech issues have effected her ability to read. So I guess here's to another year of speech...

1 comment:

Shelley said...

If Kali qualifies for speech therapy, then AISD has to serve her FOR FREE! I would check out that option first before I paid for private sessions. It is the law that they serve her if she qualifies. Ask to have her tested, then go from there. Hope it all works out for ya!......