Friday, September 14, 2007

Wow...

You know how sometimes you don't realize you have a problem or you don't realize how bad the problem is until you begin to fix it? Well, that is precisely how I am feeling right now. I didn't realize how active my brain was until I started taking this medication. Never have I been able to sit calmly and quietly mentally (I have always been able to physically sit quietly, because my brain is quite entertaining). Usually there are constant thoughts zooming through my head... constant worries... constant questions... but for the last two days things have been calm inside my head. Not that there haven't been thoughts, there have been, but now they come slower and are more understandable and cause less anxiety. What is funny to me, though, is that I didn't realize that what was happening inside my head wasn't normal. I assumed everyone has constant messages floating around at the speed of light. Anyway, let's just say I am slightly amazed right now.

Other happenings in my life... Kali told me this morning that she didn't want to go to school today. I told her she didn't have a choice, if she didn't go to school they could put mommy in jail (there is actually a law that says parents will go to jail if their child doesn't go to school and they aren't homeschooled). Her response...that's ok Grandad would take care of you. My dad works at the jail... so I guess that would make it ok! Kids amaze me sometimes.

Kali has her first wall word test today. Pray that she does well. It really is different having a child that struggles with reading. For Megan we did nothing. She just got it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I never went over her wall words with her (I know this should get me the bad parent award) but she just didn't need our help. Kali, on the other hand, requires a great amount of assistance from us. She starts reading camp again next week. McMurry has this great program where kids can come to the school two times a week and be tutored by early education majors. I'm not sure how much the program costs, but we did it this summer and the girls seemed to enjoy it. The classes are MW 4-5:15 (?) or something like that!

Here's my question of the week... Megs really doesn't care for PE. She never has and I know it is because it is hard on her and she can't stand not succeeding at things. Her new PE teacher likes to yell (hollar) at the kids which Megan doesn't understand or handle well. In fact, yelling at Megan usually has the opposite affect of what was intended. The teacher has been doing her job for 20 yrs and I'm sure she isn't going to understand what I'm saying and I have told Megan to do her best and try to understand some people yell and it doesn't mean your in trouble... but she still comes home upset. How do I deal with this? I feel guilty telling her to suck it up and deal with it when (in my opinion) there have to better ways of telling a kid to get it together. UGH! (Oh, by the way, this is why I don't teach elementary school... I would feel the need to yell at the kids.)

JW

No comments: