Saturday, May 27, 2006

Kissing Cousins

My cousin Kim took my kiddos and hers after dinner with the intentions of going to the park. She stopped for a bit at her parents before going to the park. While at her parents house Brett (Kim's little boy) and Kali (my little girl) were fighting over some toy cell phone. The older sisters, Megan and Kelsey, told Brett and Kali to get into the closet and kiss... and the little ones did it.

I stayed calm when Kim told me about the kiss, but inside I was screaming. Kim seems to think that the big kids were telling the little kids to get in the closet and kiss as a means to get them to stop arguing... you know, the "I'll make you hold hands and kiss if you don't stop that" idea... but I am having a hard time swallowing that idea. I explained very calmly and firmly to the girls that if they EVER encouraged the little ones to kiss again I would personally tan their hides. Kim thought I was overreacting, but I have already had soooooo many problems with Kali kissing little boys that I couldn't let this pass. Not to mention I am certain that the big girls new better.

As I sit here on my couch thinking about how I could have handled it differently it just dawned on me... I got on to the big kids for telling the little ones to kiss... but I never got on to the little ones for following their instructions and kissing. Guess I will have take care of that in the morning! Can I call that a blonde moment?

--jessica

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, no. I would FREAK OUT. I don't know if I'd ever let them out of the house again.

When I was little, my dad had me so well brainwashed, that I thought all boys were good-for-nothings and far beneath me. It served me well. From the age of sixteen, I only got involved with guys who

1. were my best friend and

2. worshipped the ground I walked on. . .

until I met my husband in Hong Kong, who secretly worshipped the ground I walked on, but told me (after being friends with me for a few weeks) that if I couldn't treat him with a little respect, he wouldn't hang out with me anymore. So I married him.

Rebecca said...

P.S. Congratulations on the adoption! I hope you have fun!

Anonymous said...

I'd freak out too! I liked Rebecca's comment here because it reminds me of my oldest daughter! Ha! She disdains boys and won't give them the time of day! My second daughter is friends with mostly boys, and when I was a kid, I beat them up! I didn't run into kissing stuff until 13 so I haven't had to deal with a situation like this yet, but I have a feeling that with my boys I will. Ugh. I'll have to come to you for advice then! One thing I have told my kids is that kissing is very special and that you shouldn't spend them on people you don't love, not that thy're old enough to care yet, but maybe it will help later? Hope it works out okay! Oh and P.S. you won a bravery award on my site! Check it!

Anonymous said...

definately sit them down and tell them not to listen to the big girls about issues like this! I've had a similar experience with my daughter and I was furious! You cant'be too careful.