Monday, May 29, 2006

Peer Pressure

Wow! You would think at 30 yrs old I would be past the point of succumbing to peer pressure... but no... apparently I'm not. I went to the pool today with some friends from church. When we were lathering up with sun screen my friend said "use this... you won't burn" and I used it even though I knew I needed to put at least 15spf on my legs for their first venture into the sun. Guess what... my legs could compete with a lobster. I am pretty sure they have never been this red in all my days as an adult. I say as an adult because as a teen I would lay out on the trampoline with a baby oil glaze to assist in the burn. Here is the sad part... I forgot to turn over... so only the front of my legs are red... I kindof look like a candy cane.

If that wasn't enough peer pressure... when it came time for adult swim my friends said "let's jump of the high dive"... and although I haven't done that since I was a kid I couldn't be outdone. I jumped... and jumped... and went down the slide... I did things at the pool that I have never done. Not that it wasn't fun... don't get me wrong... but I have been fighting a sinus infection for about 2 weeks... I think it is winning... and jumping off the high dive only managed to make my ears pop and somehow increase the sinus pressure.

I guess not all peer pressure is bad... I did have a good time... but next time someone says "use this..." I might have to reconsider the consequences.

The funniest part to me as I think about the day... is that my 8 yr old succumbed to peer pressure too... she jumped off the high dive for the first time ever. Go Megan!

--jessica

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool! I so do not fall into peer pressure. I'm a big baby and I would not have jumped off the high dive, I don't care what people think, if It makes me scared, I don't do it! Way to go! Sorry about the sun burn, those really hurt.

Rebecca said...

You are so brave! I doubt I will EVER jump from a high dive. By the way, I burned my legs the same way, all in the front, last week, and now they itch like heck. I didn't even get a good tan out of it.

Christina_the_wench said...

I can't find a high dive to save my life! Wanna teach my kids to dive off of one. Kudos for taking the plunge, so to speak. ;)

Anonymous said...

Right on! I'm terrible with peer pressure when it comes to a challenge! But I like it!
Got any pics of your legs? Ha!

Heather said...

LOL!!!! Since when is 30 grown up??? I totally would have chickened out at the last minute -and made eveyone behind me on the ladder move! ;-) As for the burn - hate me - it's ok - I don't burn. too much I-talian in me (you have to say it like that - my gramma always said it like that)

Anonymous said...

i used to jump off the high dive at camp each year. i hated that 'lose your stomach' kind of feeling, but i always did it anyway!

(another 30 yr old West Texas mom!)

boomama said...

ANOTHER Texas blogger? I'm starting to think that God is preparing me to move. :-) Thanks for commenting on my blog today - and you be careful in that sun. I had a run-in with a tanning bed that converted me to SPF 45 for good. :-)