Thursday, March 16, 2006

Patience....Patience!

One of my most irritating personality traits has to do with my inability to be patient when I am really excited about something! The little red car that my husband purchased for me yesterday is falling into this category! I want it running....and I want it running now! In fact, I would like to sit in the floor and kick my feet and cry...much like my five-year-old has been doing lately but that's another issue. However, as an adult I know that this behavior would be completely inappropriate! Instead I must sit here, ask questions and SMILE at my husband when he tells me he thinks it is going to take a lot of work and time! I understand the concept of work...I am even willing for him to work late for the next two evening and I will even sacrifice my weekend so he can get my car running. Aren't I sweet?

At some level I know I need to take a deep breath and let him do things on his time....but let me explain what his time means to me. He bought the LT1 that he is going to put into the camero 10 yrs ago and has done nothing with it except move it from one place to another. When we moved into our house a year ago we pulled the carpet out of the bathroom (because what idiot puts carpet in a bathroom) and he was going to put tile down....the box of tiles is still under my bed. I bought a new kitchen faucet 4 months ago...it is still leaning against the wall waiting to be installed. I bought a new fancy shower head 6 months ago...still sitting on the closet shelf waiting to be put into my shower. So.....as you can see his time and my time are not the same thing! I am trying to be patient and kind. I am trying not to nag him or be rude to him. In fact, last night I told him that I understood that he needed time to get all of his ducks in a row and I didn't even add a but....get it done quickly please!

Patience is on of those things that I pray for constantly. Patience with my kids, patience with my students, patience with my husband. I feel a little weird asking God for patience in this situation. It's not like we don't have two perfectly good vehicles. It's not like having the vehicle next weekend instead of this one would have life altering affects. I know that I am being selfish and that I need to take a deep breath and wait. There is the saying "Good things happen to those who wait"...that is my least favorite saying because I am not good at waiting. I get excited and I just do it...I guess the famous shoe slogan is more my style. I can only imagine what blessings I have missed because I didn't wait to see what God had in store for me.

So, I guess today I will not call my husband every hour and ask him if he has gotten started yet, or if I need to get a part for him...instead, I will take the kids on a picnic and I will try not to think about my little red car.

--jessica

No comments: