Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Friendly Frontier?

Last year when the city of Abilene decided to change their slogan to "The Friendly Frontier" I just kind-of laughed and wondered who came up with that idea. Well...now I am downright irritated by it. Has anyone been to Wal-Mart or K-Mart lately....nothing friendly about those people! Have you tried to buy parts for a car at the store where apparently only men are supposed to shop...nothing friendly there either. I eat out almost daily...most encounters at sit-down restaurants are merely ok...nothing spectacular. Fast food is even worse...I often find myself wanting to tell the person behind the counter they should try to smile and at least pretend they like their job. I understand that people have bad days and that it isn''t always easy to be nice to people...especially those of us with difficult orders like "plain and dry" on all my burgers! BUT...don't try to call us the Friendly Frontier if we can't show it by our actions. Who knows...maybe the people who thought up the slogan decided that if they labeled us as friendly we would slowly start to act that way!

Ok...so that is my rant for the day! I will say that the guy named Steve at the WM on this side of town was the only redeeming factor for the store when I went on Sunday! He actually smiled at me and helped me put my groceries in my cart!

--Jessica

No comments: